Friday, April 11, 2008

¡Hasta Pronto!

Hi Everyone,
So I just finished my formal classes and am getting ready to go to a small rural town called Torotoro on Saturday for 3 weeks. I´m going to be interviewing people there about their experiences and perceptions of the public health system and the traditional medicine practictioners. It´s one of the first ones to implement a new more culturally sensitive model- the doctors actually speak quechua, women can give birth with their clothes on and kneeling on the floor (and they let them practice a lot of other traditional customs), and they´re trying to get doctors and traditional healers to coordinate their work. I´m nervous but really excited to get started. I´ve been working my butt off all week getting ready with the help of my super cool advisor- a public health MD that´s been working on this new model for the last 10 years.

I don´t think there´s internet in Torotoro, so I probably won´t write for a while, but I´ll be thinking of you and excited to tell you all about it when I get back!
Chau!
Kirsten

1 comment:

Tom said...

We're all looking forward to seeing you again and hearing more of your stories. Be well!